Start the Week with KAREN M. NUTT

Monday, November 15, 2010
Today, we’re here with paranormal romance author, Karen M. Nutt. Karen writes about "time travel, magic and otherworldly tales." Her stories are published by the houses Tease Publishing LLC, The Wild Rose Press, Highland Press and Victory Tales Press. But I'll pause here and let her talk for herself!!


Linda Kage: So Karen, tell us a little about you and what you write please.

Karen: Paranormal romance is the genre for me. I’m drawn to the preternatural world and enjoy exploring different realms. Fallen Angels, vampires and shape shifters embrace my darker side where their worlds intertwine with ours.

Time travel is another passion of mine. It’s wonderful to be swept away into another century where rugged cowboys take down the bad guy and win the girl and where knights save the damsel in distress or the other way around is fine, too. (wink)

I share my life with a wonderful man of twenty-five years, three lovely children and house full of pets that have us all trained to give them treats on command.


Kage: Twenty-five years!! Why, that's practically a quarter of a century. Oh, wait, it is a quarter of a century. So you've been well acquainted with romance for a while now. Which makes me wonder, What happened to the first book you ever wrote?


Karen: It was a western tale with outlaws and kids as the heroes. I wrote it when I was about twelve or thirteen when cowboys where a big deal to me. Even then it had a light paranormal theme laced throughout the tale. I hand wrote the story in a hard cover notebook. I still have it and no, I never submitted it anywhere. lol

Kage:I never submitted my first book anywhere either. But obviously you have submitted some since you're published now. Tell us a little about those books. What’s your backlist and coming soon bookshelf look like?


Karen: Time Travel: Creighton Manor (1870 Natchez); A Twist of Fate (War of 1812); At the Stroke of Midnight (1970s Hollywood star); Lost in the Mist of Time (16th century Ireland)

OtherWorldly Romances: Destiny’s Prerogative (were-jaguar); Autumn Moon (Vampire); Moon Shifter (werewolf); Eli: Warriors for the Light (Fallen Angel)

Kage: So, what story are we going to talk about today?


Karen: My new release is a short story, “Wanted” in the anthology: A Christmas Collection (stimulating) from Victory Tales Press. It just so happens to be about an outlaw and a sheriff. I do enjoy the forbidden romances. Here’s a blurb:

********************BLURB********************
A Christmas Collection Anthology : Stimulating
by
Stephanie Burkhart, Gerald Costlow, Rita Hestand, Karen Michelle Nutt
From Victory Tales Press

Sheriff Jace Kelly’s wife died giving birth to his remarkable daughter, Emma. She inherited the families’ seer abilities, but being only six-years old, she has the tendency not to know the difference between a vision and just an ordinary dream. So Jace doesn’t put too much faith in Emma’s recent premonition: marriage for him and a new mother for her, all because she wished upon a Christmas star.

When JoBeth Riley arrives in town, Emma is convinced this is the woman she dreamed about: dark hair, green eyes and shamrocks in her pocket. Only there’s one problem, she’s the notorious outlaw, Baby Face Jo.

JoBeth’s stay in the lumber town is meant to keep Shane Maverick, the leader of the outlaw gang from finding her and breaking her out of jail before the authorities have time to devise a plan to capture him.

JoBeth finds the Kellys a strange lot. A little girl, who believes her dreams are tales of the future and the rugged sheriff whose kindness proves a distraction. She’s an outlaw for heaven’s sake, but Jace is bound and determined to steal her heart.
*********************************************

Kage: What would the story be rated if it were a movie?


Karen: PG-13.

Kage: Okay, cool. Now, if you HAD to fit this story into a cliché, which one would it be?


Karen:Forbidden Love.

Kage:Ooh! I love forbidden Love stories. There's just something about secret meetings and defying all odds to be together that gets my juices flowing. So what makes this book so unique from every other Forbidden Romance out there?


Karen: The town is not the typical silver and gold town of the late 1800s Arizona towns. The town’s primary income is lumber. I found it fascinating that in 1884, the Riordan family ran a lumber company in Flagstaff. The family developed a beautiful homestead and actually brought culture to the Wild West. The Riordan Mansion is something to see.

Kage:Wow. It's even neater that you implement so much truth with your story. What was the easiest part to write?


Karen: Characters and dialog are the easiest for me. I usually have a good idea of who my characters are, though there have been times they’ve surprised me. The setting takes research. In Wanted, it was set around Christmas time. I had chosen Arizona for the setting. If you aren’t familiar with the state, there is a lot of barren, rocky desert like areas, but up North there’s the San Francisco Peaks and they actually have snow around Christmas time. It was perfect for my story.

Kage:Give us the 411 on these main characters.


Karen: Jace, the sheriff may be able to take down a harden criminal if he had to, but he also has a heart of gold. He’s a widower and is raising his six-year old daughter alone. He treats everyone with respect—even an outlaw. What I don’t like about him? His daughter has a gift of sight, but he tends to dismiss the visions because she’s only six. As kind and helpful as he is, he neglects himself. He’s so worried about everyone else, he hasn’t moved on from his wife’s death.

JoBeth didn’t choose her life on the run. She was young and naïve when she ran away with the handsome outlaw, Shane Maverick. She didn’t know he was a wanted man, but by the time she found out it was too late to go home. She’s a strong woman and deals with her life the best she can without letting it destroy her heart. Shane may be a despicable character, but there is more to the outlaw than most know and JoBeth sees it. What do I dislike about her? She stays with Shane because a part of her feels sorry for him and has this need to keep him safe from the demons that haunt him.

Kage: Karen, Thank you so much for stopping by today and gracing us with your presence. Before we go, is there anything else you’d like to say to wrap things up?


Karen: If you’re interested in knowing more about my time travel and otherworldly tales, please visit my website at: http://www.kmnbooks.com/

Linda, thank you so much for having me here today.


Now that Karen has totally made us want to buy her book, she was kind enough to provide us with a a buy link to A Christmas Collection Anthology: Amazon Link

If you're still curious about Karen, here are other places to find her on the web:

Website: http://www.kmnbooks.com/

Blog: http://kmnbooks.blogspot.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/karenmichellenutt

Twitter: http://twitter.com/KMNbooks

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/karenmichellenutt

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/karenmichellenutt

Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Karen-Michelle-Nutt/e/B002BLLBPE/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

18 comments:

  1. Oooh...forbidden love is always a winner in my book! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    Thanks so much for coming by this morning. Forbidden love is one of my favorite, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,

    Thank you again for having me here. You have a lovely site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I'd share a short excerpt from Wanted:

    JoBeth leaned her back against the wall of the jail cell, stretching out her weary limbs on the cot. For the first time in ages, she didn’t fear for her life. Jace Kelly may be a sheriff, but he proved a man of honor. She couldn’t remember the last time anyone addressed her as a lady. She snorted with amusement. Do I call you Miss Maverick or is it Misses? God, the man was too polite for his own good. Nice on the eyes, too, with his sandy colored strands draped over his ears from lack of a trim. Blue-gray eyes looked at her with curiosity and not disdain. He stood perhaps six feet or close to it with a build that told her he didn’t sit behind his desk all day. She wondered if the good sheriff had a wife tucked away at home. Seemed like all the polite men did. They were snatched off the market the moment they were available.

    “Papa, Papa.” A little cherub, in the lovely form of a child came traipsing in the door. Her blonde braided-ponytails bobbed behind her like a flag. She flew into Sheriff Jace Kelly’s outstretched arms.

    “Hello darlin’.” His large arms encircled the little girl with affection. “Where’s Mrs. Gunthry?”

    “Oh, you know how her old bones don’t move so fast. She’s right behind me, only not so close ’cause I ran.” Her lips curved into a bright toothless grin.

    So the sheriff was married. Had a little girl too. She was cute as a button with rosy cheeks and big blue eyes, a brighter blue than her father’s. As if the little girl sensed someone staring at her, she turned. Her gaze fastened onto JoBeth before widening in surprise.
    She tilted her head to the side then squealed in delight, clapping her hands together as if someone handed her a present. “She’s here. She’s really here.”

    JoBeth’s brows drew together in a frown. She turned to look beside her, half expecting someone to be standing next to the cot. Her gaze fastened onto the little girl once more with a frown.

    “Now, Emma, don’t be making this out to be something it’s not.”
    Her hand went to her mouth, cupping it as if she were going to whisper, but her voice rang clear as day. “She has dark hair and green eyes. Didn’t you notice?”

    JoBeth looked at Jace and by damn he turned two shades of red. Interesting. She looked at Emma again. Who did the child think she was?”

    “That’s enough, Emma. We’ll talk about this later.”

    “But she’s my Christmas present.” Her hands flew to her waist and she stomped her foot with indignation.

    JoBeth’s brows rose on their own accord. A Christmas present, now this she had to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got the book and now I'll have to read it. Westerns have a soft spot for me. Sounds great. I need to read them all.

    Nice to see you here Karen.

    Good luck with Sales, my story, Fast Forward Love is in this book too. It's a modern tale about two people, both with nearly grown children and both widowed. So why weren't they together, everyone else thought they should be.
    Connie did too, but Ed hadn't shown enough interet, until one day she stayed late for her kids game and Ed sat beside on the bleachers.

    Evidently Ed's attention had been captured, if the kiss in the parking lot was any measure. But there were complications. Ed just had a offer for a better job, in another town, far away.

    Could they fast forward the love?

    Love and blessings
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda,
    Nice blog.

    Karen,
    Short stories for the holidays is about all I have time for. Your story sounds really good. I'm partial to westerns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rita,

    I'm so glad you could stop by. I enjoyed your tale in the Summer Anthology--The Far Side of Lonesome.

    Thanks for sharing a tidbit of your holiday tale in the Christmas Anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cathy,

    Thanks for coming by for a visit. I'm like you, I don't have a lot of time during the Christmas holiday to indulge, but a short tale would be perfect. I wouldn't feel guilty sneaking away for a quick read.

    Happy Holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda,

    I just watched your 'Let's Watch Lydia Grow' sooo cute. I love the witch outfit for Halloween she wore-- just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen,
    I can't wait to get my hands on this book. This is the only one I DON'T have a story in! SNIFF!!! We've been anthology mates in the Halloween Collection and I'm going to miss you in the Christmas one! LOL Anyhow, I wanted to mention again too how much I loved Eli in the Warriors for the Light series. He is AWESOME!

    My stories in the Christmas anthologies are HOMECOMING--this is a Civil War era story that has quite a supernatural twist at the end. It's in the SWEET anthology.

    SCARLET RIBBONS is in the SENSUAL edition. It's a western with a supernatural spin on it, as well, about a gunfighter who finds his own miracle on Christmas Eve.

    WHITE CHRISTMAS is in the SPICY edition. It's a contemporary about two lonely people who are brought together under unusual circumstances for the Christmas holidays and manage to find love just as the snow begins to fall.

    All of the authors in each anthology are very talented writers and I want to also say a big thank you to Rebecca Vickery for putting these anthologies together, and to Laura Shinn for doing the awesome covers!

    Hugs to you Linda, and to you, Karen, for sharing your space with all of us!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen and Linda,
    Thanks for inviting us over. As the owner of Victory Tales Press, I am so thankful that authors such as Karen and all the others want to participate in these anthologies. We end up with such a variety of stories within each book and no two are ever the same. It boggles my mind that these authors always come up with something new and different. If anyone is interested in seeing what VTP is up to next, drop by http://victorytalespress.yolasite.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, it looks like I have a bunch of new books to look into!!

    Thanks for the excerpt, Karen. I loved it!! I have to say I agree with you about Lydia. She's just too cute; always makes me wonder how I ended up with such an adorable baby.

    Rita and Cheryl, your books sound good. And Rebecca, I had no idea you owned Victory Tales Press. What a small world. I remember winning a book off your blog not so long ago.

    It IS amazing that there are only 26 letters in the alphabet but people can still put out volumes and volumes of completely original work. Definitely a mind boggler.

    Thanks for the Victory Tales Link.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview and the book sounds wonderful. Like you, I love time travel, paranormal, etc., and I love the dialogue - hard to put in descriptions. I'm having such a good time talking to myself. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like my kind of book, Karen. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Patsy,
    Thanks for stopping by. I think it's it's difficult for me to add the description because I tend to want to skip the long versions when I read. I like the interaction of the characters most of all. :)
    However, I can't leave the characters bantering away in a black void. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Caroline,

    Thanks so much for sending some luck my way. One can never have too much. Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Rita,

    I'm still waiting for my author copy. I'm looking forward to reading your tale. Thanks for coming by and sharing your story. :)


    Cheryl,

    It's always nice to see you! This woman sure can pen rugged characters to fall in love with. She's been busy with a few tales for the Christmas Anthologies.

    Rebecca,

    You're wonder woman when comes to putting all the books together in print and all e-book formats. How in the world do you have time to spin your wonderful tales? I'm positive you have the wee folk helping you out after hours. lol

    Linda,

    Again, thanks so much for having me here.

    ReplyDelete