Recently On My Nightstand

Tuesday, April 8, 2008
On Writing by Stephen King It's hard for me to get into a book that's not a romance and even doubly so for a non-fiction. I usually only gag through a few chapters and call it good. But this book was so wonderful, I read the entire thing. Entertaining and informative, it kept me captivated. If King stopped writing books I was too afraid to read and took up the romance genre, he'd probably become my favorite author. I just love his style. He taught me loads about the craft of fiction.

Second Sight Dating by Marianne Stephens New in print, Stephens tries something different with Second Sight Dating. Using paranormal abilities, she creates a sensual relationship between the two main characters. Her story is fun and relaxing to read.

Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas Okay, I have to confess. This book never actually touched my nightstand because I consumed it in one big gulp. But yum. Kleypas pulled out another awesome story. My husband deserves a big thanks here too, for not complaining while I left the night light on and read until the wee hours, finishing Blue-Eyed Devil.

Eggs by Jerry Spinelli I have no idea why I bought this children's story but I'm glad I did. I think I can learn something from Spinelli's technique. The way his words flow is very "lyrical" as one of his reviews quotes. I'd be doing okay if some of his style rubbed off.

Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts I don't think those NR seals on her books really mean a new release. I suspect they're actually guarantees, promising us she's created another hit. Roberts couldn't write a bad story if she wanted to (in my opinion, anyway). The woman's talent is truly outstanding.

Ice Storm by Anne Stuart I'm a romantic suspense junkie, so this is my kind of story. Just can't get enough of them. Fourth in the Ice series, Ice Storm is an exciting, sexy, dangerous ride. Stuart sticks to her usual dark characters and creates a fine line between death and romance.

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah Warning: Do not read Firefly Lane without a couple boxes of tissue. Though this may be Hannah's best work yet, it's not her traditional romance. The central relationship is between the two best friends and it doesn't have a happy ending. But if you're looking for an amazing tear jerker, this is totally the story for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment