July Nightstand Reviews

Monday, July 7, 2008
Ah, the Fourth of July. Fireworks, homemade ice-cream, family fun, and unforgiving sunburns. I wonder if our founding fathers would be pleased that their grand struggle for independence has narrowed down to this? Either way, I’m still grateful they provided for such a lifestyle. Not only did I experience all the above, but I caught a three-day weekend and did some much-needed reading. And now, I can provide you with my monthly nightstand review.

Visions of Heat by Nalini Singh (Paranormal). #2 in the Psy/Changling Series. This novel is about Faith and Vaughn. I think Singh has a very interesting mystical world created with this leopard pack.

Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh (Paranormal). #3 in the Psy/Changling Series. I really liked Judd and Brenna’s story. Those hard, alpha men that think they’re unfeeling are so awesome. I like the possessive changling men that are her usual heroes, but Judd, the ultimate psy, really got to me too.

Mine to Possess by Nalini Singh (Paranormal). #4 in the Psy/Changling Series. And here we have Clay and Talin’s story. Their story really focused on the idea that once a changling male finds his mate, she’s it for him. I love the history the two main characters have together.

The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter (Paranormal). #2 in the Lords of the Underworld Series. Lucian (possessed by the demon of death) and Anya, minor goddess of Anarchy, might be complete opposites, but they go together so well. They’re like two halves of one whole. And I couldn’t get enough of Anya’s character. She’s one of my favorite heroines, all tough and devious, not putting up with anyone’s crap, but also an absolute marshmallow when it comes to her true love. I really, really like this story if you can’t tell.

The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter (Paranormal). #3 in the Lords of the Underworld Series. After The Darkest Kiss, I assumed Reyes (possessed by the demon of Pain) and Danika’s story would be a let down. I was braced for it and everything. But Showalter came up with a twist about Danika that made this just as rich and strong as its preceding story. I loved it too.

Death Angel by Linda Howard (Romantic Suspense). Holy Guacamole. If you like a steamy story, you’ll love this and you don’t have to wait long for the windows to fog. But, wow. If an aspiring writer, like me, needs an example of a chapter one that really hooks a reader into the story, then Howard has provided an excellent illustration here. I’m still shuddering over that way-hot first scene.

Body Language by Suzanne Brockmann (Contemporary). After I find an author I like and start reading their earlier work, I’m usually a little disappointed because they’re not as good at the beginning of their writing career. They have to grow and develop. But I think Brockmann was born into the book world at the top of her game. This is one of her first stories and yet it’s just as engaging as her most recent publication. Now, if only I could be like her (Insert dreamy, wistful sigh here).

After the Kiss by Suzanne Enoch (Regency Historical). In my opinion Enoch has to be one of the most talented conflict builders. She is always able to heighten the tension until I’m sweating and thinking, “How in the world are these two going to end up together. It’s hopeless.” And yet, there’s always, always a happy, satisfying ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment