Interview with Author, Ashley Ladd

Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Today, I have author, Ashley Ladd here visiting, and she was kind enough to share a couple words with us. So, give a big round of applause to Ashley!




Hi, Ashley and welcome. To begin with, why don't you tell us what you write? How many books do you have out and where can we find them?
As Ashley Ladd I write erotic romance - MF, MM, and MMF. My
latest books at Total-e-Bound are:
-Recipe for Disaster (released October 5, 2009),
-Sorry Charlie in the Friction Anthology,
-Doggy Style in Summer Seductions.

At Ellora's Cave my most recent books are:
-Truth, Justice, & The Vampire Way
-Heavenly Hijinks.


Altogether I've written more than 50 stories that have been published. Some are no longer available. I don't want to bore you with a huge list. Instead here are the links to my book pages on TEB and Ellora's Cave.




I’d like to hear about your newest book.
Recipe for Disaster. It's an M/F erotic romance at total-e-bound.com

I live in South Florida, in the midst of the housing foreclosure debacle. It's horrible down here with people having their mortgages doubled and being kicked out of their homes. It's really bothering me. Thus, this story was inspired. I hope I was able to portray how awful this is and I wish I could arrange a happy ending for everybody stuck in this mess.



Wow. I like how the story was inspired. What’s it about?
Desperate, Jamie will do almost anything to save her house, her dogs, and her life but will she sell her soul?

Jamie's desperate. If her 401K emergency distribution isn't disbursed in time, she'll be a victim of the Florida foreclosures. If that's not bad enough, she's also in danger of losing her job and her beloved dogs.

Worse yet, she hits Max with her car. Luckily, Max is better than fine and ready to jump into her life and her bed. Unluckily, he's afraid to tell her that he buys distressed properties and he was in her yard to check out her house.



Cool. Think you could share a sneak peek with us?
By reading any further, you are stating that you are 18 years of age, or over.If you are under the age of 18, it is necessary to exit this site.Copyright © Ashley Ladd, 2009All Rights Reserved, Total-E-Ntwined Limited, T/A Total-E-Bound.

Jamie Covais would sell her soul to the devil to keep her house. She’d even sell her mother.

She did her best to keep her lips from trembling, from turning into a blathering blob of jelly at her attorney’s feet. She blinked back tears and shook her head. “I didn’t get any notices about a lawsuit. Doesn’t there have to be a summons or something? I didn’t sign anything…”

Carl Johnson, her attorney, levelled an asking stare at her. “Are you sure you received no summons? No one came to your door with a paper to sign?”

She thought hard until her mind began to melt, but there was no enlightenment. Her brains rattled when she shook her head. They were a perfect match to her broken heart. “No.”

Then a horrid thought struck her, and she couldn’t breathe. Wishing she didn’t have to admit this wouldn’t change the truth. “Sometimes Mom forgets to tell me things. She visited a couple times this year.”

Carl pursed his lips, shook his grey head and hitched up his pant legs as he sank into his chair. He folded his hands in his lap as he leant back in his chair and regarded her with something akin to pity.

“She’s forgetful.” And irresponsible. And flighty. Unfortunately, the list of adjectives stretched beyond the horizon. Carl’s secretary, Nina, rapped on the door, and with an apologetic look, she carried papers to her boss. “Here’s what you asked for.”

After Nina handed them to him, she smiled shyly at Jamie and returned to her desk. Within seconds, rapid typing tickled Jamie’s ears. Carl perused the papers for several moments. The longer he read, the deeper his scowl etched into his forehead. Muttered oaths tumbled off his lips. Then he pushed his glasses down to the tip of his nose and gave her a penetrating look. “Is your mother Penelope Covais?”

Her breath hitched in her throat, and it was several moments before she could speak. What had dear old mom done this time? “Yes.”

“Is she a resident of this property? Or an owner?”

Again she squeaked out a ‘yes’ as the stars fell out her heaven. Nervous and scared to death, she pleated the folds of her skirt. God, she didn’t want to be another victim of the Florida housing crash, but she knew she was on the list.

Carl sighed heavily and leant back in his chair. He linked his hands behind his head and stared at the ceiling. “Lordy. This is a royal mess.”

She closed her eyes and tried to drag in breath, but it was ragged and painful. All her dreams became dust in the wind. Everything crumbled before her eyes. Then Carl leant forward and hope lit his clear blue eyes, much like those in the picture of his deceased son in the spot of honour on his desk.

“Is your mother suffering from dementia?”

Jamie blinked. God, she hoped not. Penelope had been erratic and eccentric even at twenty, but she hadn’t lost her mind. “Not that I know of, at least. It’s not been diagnosed.”

“Do you have any money? Anybody who can loan it to you? Your mom? You said she’s an owner, too.”

She’d been over it so often her head was going to explode. “Only in my 401K. But doesn’t it take a couple months to get the money out?”

Light flickered in the lawyer’s eyes, and he leant forward. “I don’t think so. Talk to your HR 401K administrator right away. Take these papers with you and show him.” Jamie accepted back her death decree. If she’d had this notification earlier when her mother had first signed, she could have raided her retirement account then filed bankruptcy or something. Now, with two weeks to the fateful day, she was out of time.

Acid ate at her stomach, and she wondered if she’d rather die than be homeless. Where would she live? Where would she go? Wouldn’t she have to file bankruptcy anyway? No way could she come up with the money to pay rent and whatever hefty penalties were assessed for reneging on her loan after the new buyer waltzed away with her house.

Most of all what would happen to Peter and Tinkerbell, her huskies?

Trying to at least look positive even though she was dying inside, she gave her lawyer her best smile and rolled up the letter. “I’ll let you know what I find out.”

“Please do. I sure hope you can get this worked out.”

God, she did, too.


I'm definitely intrigued. How can I get my hands on a copy?
http://www.total-e-bound.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=&P_ID=578


Thanks. Now that I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, let's move our discussion along to the business end of your job. How long have you been writing?
Since I was 6 years old. Officially, since the early 90's. My first novel, Tigers Play, was published in 1999 by New Concepts Publishing. It's one of the books no longer available. :(


What’s the hardest and easiest thing you’ve discovered about the publishing world?

It's tough when I lose my editor(s). One of my books went through four editors. Each one seemed to start the process over. I thought the book would disappear into editing twilight. I'm losing one of my all-time favorite editors now. I wish her well. I know this is the best thing for her. I know I'll survive and that I'll still see her around as a friend.But it's hard. I wonder if my next editor(s) will believe in me and in my stories the way she did. When an editor doesn't like an author or a project, I find it extremely difficult to work with them.


What do you love most about being an author?
I love creating new worlds, new people, and living vicariously through my characters. Things I can't do in real life, I can do in my dreams (stories). It's exhilarating! I hope that my readers get as much joy as I do from these stories.


What are your views on social networking (blogging, twitter, facebook…)? Do you think it’s important for an author to do it?
Very important. My favorite social media are Twitter and blogging. I liked Facebook but I was getting so addicted by it and Farmtown I had to go cold turkey as I wasn't getting any writing done. I'd love to get into Digg, StumbleUpon, etc. but with a day job and a family, there's only so many hours in the day. Twitter is great because I can quickly send updates or explore hastags to tune into conversations and the most up to date news.


Where can we find you in the social networking world?
-Twitter (of course!) I'm "Ashleyladd"
-My blog: http://www.ashleyladd.blogspot.com/ (I post daily)
-Facebook
-Myspace


What’s the most important piece of advice you can give to aspiring authors?
Keep writing. Keep polishing. Keep submitting. Work with a critique partner. Never give up.



Wonderful advice. Thank you. Let’s move to a little more personal territory. Please tell us a little something about you? How do you fill most of your days?
I'm a full-time customer service manager for a charity. I work there at least 40 hours weekly, usually quite a lot more. I've been with my day-job employer going on 16 years. To do this job, I have to do major multi-tasking: talk on the phone, juggle emails, write letters, fix problems on our website, research problems, soothe irate people (customers and my staff), referee.

Evenings and weekends, I do an about face. I'm softball mom, wife, and writer/promoter. My daughter's softball is usually five days weekly, sometimes all seven. Life is hectic. I'm back to multi-tasking. At the ballfield I walk (for exercise) during practices. I write during the games. At home, I have tens of computer screens open at once, flipping between Twitter, blogs, and writing.

Wow, you are definitely a multi-tasker. And yet, you still have time for romance stories. Describe the perfect man?
He's my partner, in good times and bad. He likes to talk to me, make me laugh, and be with me. He's there for me. He'll take turns changing diapers and carting kids to their activities. He's a good father.


What’s your favorite romance movie?
I have sooooooo many, but the first one that popped to mind was "The Mummy".


Pizza or fudge?
Depends on my mood, but usually pizza - thin crust, plain cheese.


If you won a hundred million dollars, what would you do with it?
Invest in my children's future. Help animal rescue, especially cats. Help the destitute poor. Maybe start my own publishing house or just travel a lot and write full time.


Wow, what a good mother. What’s your dream vacation?
I'd love to hang out at a dude ranch, ride horses and watch romantic sunsets all week. I'd like to swim in the moonlight then lounge around in the Jacuzzi.


Ahh, sounds wonderful. But before you head there, is there anything else you’d like to share with us about your books, writing in general, or yourself?
Write because you love to and you'd rather write than breathe, not because you think it will make you a millionaire. I need to reevaluate and reapportion my time so I have more time with my two grandchildren and my youngest son.

Thank you so much, Ashley. It was wonderful to hear from you.

5 comments:

  1. LOL Ash...cheese pizza over fudge? (shakes head) I LOVE a good cheesy pizza myself, but I'd choose chocolate over it any time:)

    As someone who finally got around to reading your books this year, I love the 'realness' of your characters and plot lines! Looking forward to reading RFD! And hope to meet you at either Lori's, RT or RC next year! All 3 are in Ohio next year, within driving distance of me:) So hopefully I'll make it to at least ONE of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for hosting me today, Linda. It's a pleasure being here.

    Molly - I hope to get to meet you in person at least once this coming year in Ohio, and I would love to attend all three. That would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got home from the day job and wanted to check in before running out to my daughter's softball game. Hope everyone had a fab day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book sounds great. I love how it really could be a neighbor in my town with the same current financial situation. Very now! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda and Ashley, what a great interview. And your book reads great. I am fascinated.

    I love reading about you saying to write for the sheer joy. I am. Though I'd love to be published and it will break my heart if that day never comes, I still want to write.

    I'll get your book and I'll recommend it to my friends here in Bostic NC. Thanks Linda for such great questions. :)

    Sorry I'm late reading, I've been tied up at Chapel Hill so much, I think I live there.

    ReplyDelete