The Joy of Pregnancy

Friday, July 10, 2009
I went out to lunch with some co-workers today, and my fortune cookie read, "People in your life will be more cooperative than usual." (Did all you editors who're reading manuscripts of mine hear that? Cooperative. Please take note:)) But seriously, I've discovered my cookie is actually right.

As soon as I learned I was pregnant, everyone around me turned into pampering mother hens. There's the advice-givers, of course, which are nice and helpful, though I could probably do without the birth-giving advice just yet. Not quite ready to think about that part. But the constant concern is... well, it's flattering.

Usually, my husband will lay his head on my leg while we're watching TV together, and I'll rub his back and scratch his hair. But now, he'll let me laze against him, and I'll get my back rubbed for a while before he says, "Okay, my turn." Makes me wonder why I waited through eight years of marriage before deciding to have a baby. Then the queasiness hits and I remember, "Oh, yeah. That's why."

Even my nine-year-old niece has taken up looking after me. It's absolutely adorable. I can't twinge or touch my stomach around her without her saying, "Are you okay? Do you need to sit down? Are you tired? Do you want me to get you a blanket?"

I should probably tell everyone I'm okay because comparatively speaking, I think I'm having a very easy time of it so far, but... what the heck. In nine months, there will only be crying, and diaper changing, and midnight feedings, and "Mom, can I borrow twenty bucks," so I've decided I might as well enjoy the spoiling while it lasts, huh?

4 comments:

  1. You crack me up! LOL - do enjoy it while you can...draw it out... trust me. They never do this again-nope, no pampering for further pregnancies. I guess they figure after the first kid you've an old pro and they let the first kid dance on your stomach. HA!

    Take care- glad to hear you are having a "Soft" time of it so far. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Linda. I won't add any advice other than enjoy all the pampering.

    I'll never forget the day my daughter was born. I was amazed. There really had been a baby in my stomach. Seeing her made it real for me.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. They don't pamper after the first time? Seriously? Now, I don't feel bad about thinking having one child is perfectly fine.

    And I really do appreciate the advice. It has been helpful, except when people freak my husband out by telling him, "She'll cry a lot after the baby's born. Just let her go."

    But thank you so much, guys, for all the support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just enjoy it while it lasts honey. You desearve it even if you aren't preggers.

    ReplyDelete