Encore Apprehension

Friday, March 26, 2010
I've been getting a lot of reviews latelly for my first book, The Stillburrow Crush. Here's just a little bit of what people have been saying:


I certainly wish there had been more stories like this when I was growing up, during that time that I devoured pointless romance novels by the score. The Stillburrow Crush adds a little substance to the fluff, and I thought it to be very well done. Nicely done, Ms. Kage. (Bookwenches.com)
In all, The Stillburrow Crush is the perfect read for when you want to escape from reality for a while with a page turning book that will have you enthralled! I can't wait to read more by Linda Kage! (Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf)

Overall this was a fantastic read. I would recommend it to readers of all ages who are fans of YA chick-lit. (Ellz Readz)

Linda Kage will definitely be on my watch list. (Gothic Asylum Reviews)

This was such a poignant novel that I just know I will read it again and again. This author is definitely going on my must-read list. I highly recommend you pick up this book and be sure to get a copy for any young woman in your life. (The Romance Studio)

I'm totally in love with all these nice, wonderful things people are saying. But...now I'm all worried. The Stillburrow Crush is completely different from the rest of the books I have coming out. It's young adult; the rest are adult. It's written in first person point-of-view; the rest are in third person. It's rating is "sweet" on the steamy scale; The rest...are fairly hot. I could go on, but I'll stop there.

When Stillburrow came out. I wasn't worried about reviews. Either people would like it or not like it. I was starting with nothing. But now... I have readers with expectations. What if the rest of my work just doesn't measure up? Yikes.

So, I gotta know. Is this normal for me to be so apprehensive? Do all new authors worry about such things? And how in the world do you get over it?

5 comments:

  1. I think you hit on something, Linda. There are many professionals "out there" who suggest a beginning author sticking with one genre to start with until a solid readership is developed. Your fears are likely one of the reasons for this reccomendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Awesome reviews!!!

    Oh my gosh, yes, I do worry about my next book and if it people will be disappointed or compare it to the last.
    But in the end, we just have to realize we're not going to please everyone. (Even if we try) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh! What beautiful things they had to say to you. Awesome. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, Now I'm curious and I must read your book! Also the one coming out sounds like a great read as well. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least in my case, yeah, I worry about it. Actually, I use different author names for my different types of books. Still, there have been painful times when reviewers haven't liked one of my books. Yet they've liked others. It's all part of the biz.

    ReplyDelete