November Nightstand Reviews

Friday, November 7, 2008

I have a bad feeling I won't get the chance to read again until 2009, so I'm glad I was able to get through so many books this month before I have to pack and move into the new house. But, anyway, as you can see, I stuck with my faithfuls again and read mostly romantic suspense and historical romances... but I threw one contemporary romantic comedy into the mix.

Broken Pieces by Carla Cassidy (Romantic Suspense)
Since I've actually met this author and think she's one of the neatest people ever, I would've read this book anyway. But I'm glad I did. If you like those hair-raising, whodunit mysteries, then this story is for you. It's one of those tales where you know the bad guy HAS to be one of the characters you've met. You just have to figure out who it is. Cassidy puts the H in hot on her veterinarian too.

Loose and Easy by Tara Janzen (Romantic Suspense)
#9 in the Steele Street Series, #3 in the Steel Street - Loose - Line. Sexy Johnny Ramos runs with Easy Alex through the streets of Denver during one wild night of Latino gangs, irate bookies, and eccentric rare-painting collectors. This story definitely follows Janzen's fun and fast-paced style.

Now You Die by Roxanne St. Claire (Romantic Suspense)
#6 in the Bullet Catcher Series, #3 in the Bullet Catcher - You - Line. I've seen Lucy in every Bullet Catcher book in St. Claire's series. And now that she gets her turn, I must say, wow... it was well worth the wait. Jack is definitely the man for her. There is some awesome chemistry between these two main characters.

By Love Undone by Suzanne Enoch (Historical Romance)
#1 in the Bancroft Brothers Duology. I'd already read Taming Rafe, which is the second book in this duology, so I was familiar with the hero and heroine, but I'm still glad I was able to see Quin and Maddie get together. Enoch is a master at setting up the most problemed situations. I think they'll never be able to work everything out. And then, bingo, it all slips happily together. Her skill at doing that just blows my mind.

Catch a Mate by Gena Showalter (Contemporary Romance)
I'd only read Showalter's "Darkest" series and seen her from a paranormal aspect. But, holy moley, this woman can do it all. This simple contemporary romance was so funny and so good, I'm still a quiver with delight. I thought the pages of my book were going to burst into flames there was so much steam (sexy and angry steam alike). I love how the two main characters came together from hate to love. It made the story so wonderful.

Show No Mercy by Cindy Gerard (Romantic Suspense)
#1 in the Black Ops, Inc. Series (Spin off from the EDEN Bodyguards Series). I met Jenna and Gabe in Gerard's Into the Dark book and knew they were destined to be together. They had some of that love/hate thing going on too. But I really liked getting a glimpse at each of their inner demons and watching them overcome their problems even as they fell for each other.

Secret Desires of a Gentleman by Laura Lee Guhrke (Historical Romance)
#3 in the Girl Bachelor Series. Great book. I thought it was going to be yet another love/hate relationship, and it is... kind of. But it's more like Philip was just keeping all his love a secret. Guhrke did a great job of unraveling his years of deep feelings for Maria. It had one of those gooey, happy endings that just make you sigh with satisfaction.

A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa Kleypas (Historical Romance)
#5 in the Wallflower Series. This story is about Rafe Bowman, who's the big brother of Daisy and Lillian from earlier Wallflower books. His father wants him to meet some prestigious woman to marry, but he ends up falling for her companion, Hannah, instead. This is probably the shortest book that's not in an anthology Kleypas has ever published, but she certainly didn't sacrifice any talent in the word cut. She still put out an amazing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment