October Nightstand Reviews

Monday, October 6, 2008
I had my birthday, attended my friend's wedding and now... now none of my pants fit anymore. Yikes. I must've gained five pounds from all that cake and punch. Hmm.

Anyway, I think I promised last month I'd have more books to review this month. And I do, but not much more. The historical romance and romantic suspense books reigned on my nightstand.

Seduction of a Proper Gentleman by Victoria Alexander (Historical Romance).
Oliver Leighton, The Earl of Norcroft, is the last man standing in Alexander's Last Man Standing Series. He won the bet with this friends over who'd be the last of them to marry. Sad thing is, he didn't really care to win. He's the type that wants to fall in love and wants to settle down with a good woman. Well, thank God for Lady Kathleen MacDavid. Because she seems to be that woman. It's too bad their families' curse get in their way, though that does leave for some good reading.

Then You Hide by Roxanne St. Claire (Romantic Suspense).
This is the fifth book in the Bullet Catcher Series, but the second in the trilogy to find triplet daughters. The next book, Now You Die, will tie up that trilogy and is much anticipated because it's Lucy's Story. I can't find it in any of my local bookstores, so I'm going to have to order it online somewhere. But anyway, I'd always thought Lucy would end up with Dan, though that isn't so. She actually gets Jack. Even the author thought she'd put Lucy with Dan, but HERE she tells the real story. It was a fascinating read that shows how sometimes our characters really do take over our writing.

Ace is Wild by Penny McCall (Romantic Suspense).
This is the third book in McCall's FBI series and it follows the first with witty dialogue, crazy chases and the good guys overcoming and hooking up at the end. It was an enjoyable read. I'm glad McCall has more in the series to come.

Seduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas (Historical Romance).
Second in Kleypas's Hathaway series, Seduce Me at Sunrise, finally gives us Win and Merripen's happily ever after. All you have to do is read the excerpt Kleypas posted on her website to see how totally wonderful the story is. And then to further intrigue me, this amazing author set up a nice beginning for the Hathaway brother and the governess to get together. Can't wait for their adventure... hopefully.

Mr. Cavendish, I Presume by Julia Quinn (Historical Romance).
After reading The Lost Duke of Wyndham, I'd been anxious to get my hands on Mr. Cavendish, the book not the man. And once I did, I was not disappointed. The two books happen at the same time and share some of the same scenes, but are all from different characters' points of view. I enjoyed it because I knew what what going to happen and kept anticipating certain scenes, wondering how each character saw it through their eyes. Great idea for a duo of stories, I say. I'm just depressed they're over now.

No comments:

Post a Comment