Start the week with ILONA FRIDL

Monday, August 30, 2010
Muriel tightened her fingers around Josh’s arm as she led him from the dance floor and into the kitchen. “I have to talk to you, and I don’t want to be interrupted this time.”

His eyes turned serious. “What is it?”

“I was going to tell you, and then Addy waved us into the office. The fight between Gladys and her son reminded me. I was at the courthouse the other day and overheard a conversation between Manfred and someone who I think was his lawyer. Anyway, the man told Manfred he had to prevent his mother spending the estate, and she should be stopped one way or another.”

Josh looked at her steadily. “This was out in public?”

“No. I was walking past an office door and recognized Manfred’s voice.”

“When did you hear his voice? You were upstairs during the fund-raiser.”

“Remember, I heard the fight he and his mother had at the stage door.”

He wiped his hand slowly over his mouth. “We should definitely ask her again to drop the backing. He may be thinking of bringing legal action against us.” He clasped her hand in his. “Come on, let’s get back to the party. We’ll do something about this first thing tomorrow.”

Returning from the kitchen, Muriel and Josh passed Amelia, sitting with Lester at one of the tables by the wall Muriel couldn't help but notice several long red scratches on Amelia’s arm. “Oh, honey, did you get hurt?”

Amelia looked down and took out her handkerchief and dabbed at the blood. Her face was pale and drawn.

Lester spoke up. “That happened when her brooch loosened. The pin must have scratched her arm.” He seemed to be tending her, so Muriel and Josh took to the dance floor once again.

Fifteen minutes later, Muriel saw Addy come out of the office door. She paused in front of the restaurant's decorative mirror only long enough to smooth her hair before rejoining the festivities.

She was getting some punch, assisted by Muriel, when Zeke came up behind her. “What happened to you?”

“I went to the apartment to put my feet up. I was feeling dizzy.”

Turning her so he could look in her face, he voiced his concern. “Are you all right?”

“Just a little tired, that’s all.”



********************
You just read an excerpt from:
Golden North
by
Ilona Fridl
http://www.thewildrosepress.com/

********************

Today, we’re here with Wild Rose Press author, Ilona Fridl.

Linda Kage: Ilona, tell us a little about you and what you write please.


Ilona Fridl: I've been writing historical suspense romance, so far. I've got some ideas for other genres, but haven't started exploring them, yet.



Kage: What happened to the first book you ever wrote?



Ilona Fridl: It's still in my computer. I may rework it and try to sell it. It tended to be too wordy. The second story that sold, I streamlined quite a bit before I sent it in.


Kage:What’s your backlist and coming soon bookshelf look like?



Ilona Fridl: I'm relatively new as a novel writer. My first book, Silver Screen Heroes, was released last year. It was the first of the Dangerous Times series. The second book, Golden North, was released August 20th. I've just about finished the third book, Bronze Skies.


Kage: So, what story are we going to talk about today?



Ilona Fridl: My new novel, Golden North, is book two in my series, Dangerous Times. It picks up where book one, Silver Screen Heroes, leaves off. Addy and Zeke Shafer arrive in Juneau, Alaska to help his brother, Josh, fix up an old theater and restaurant, Golden North. Of course, the couple are on the run from the crime family, Giovanni, whom were caught by the police through Zeke and Addy's help. Addy's cousin, Muriel, was married to the boss' son, who was killed in the raid. She follows Addy to Alaska after the Giovannis threaten to take her new-born daughter. In the novel is a murder mystery and plenty of suspense. It was released by The Wild Rose Press on August 20th.


********************BLURB********************
GOLDEN NORTH
by
ILONA FRIDL
Josh Shafer has purchased an old run-down theater and bar in Juneau, Alaskan Territory to get away from his abusive father. He invites his brother, Zeke, and Zeke's new wife, Addy, who are on the run from a crime family, to come and help him.

Muriel Giovanni, Addy's cousin, was married into the crime family, but her husband was killed. Now with a new daughter, the Giovannis want the child. With the help of her parents, the young widow takes her baby and follows her cousin to Alaska, where hopefully the family won't find her. Or will they?

*********************************************


Kage: What would the story be rated if it were a movie?



Ilona Fridl: It depends how they do the sex scenes. I'd guess either a PG-13 or R.


Kage: If you HAD to fit this story into a cliché, which one would it be?



Ilona Fridl: Hands down, a whodunit.


Kage:Okay, now that we have a general idea which class to fit Golden North under, what makes this book so unique from every other book out there?



Ilona Fridl: I think it would be the time frame. The 1920s aren't written about that much and it's a wonderful action-packed time of the 1900s. Juneau, Alaska hasn't had many books written with that as a setting.


Kage:What was the easiest part to write?



Ilona Fridl: With me, I love to write dialogue. I guess you can chalk that up to my theater training. I visualize the characters, like I'm watching a movie, and know what they are saying and doing.


Kage:What do you like most about the main character(s) and what do you like least? Did you learn anything from them?



Ilona Fridl: Josh Shafer, on the surface, is a shining jewel. A personable young man with a big heart. Underneath, he has serious self-doubts because of an abusive father.

Muriel Giovanni is still scarred from her association with the crime family and is wary of what people will think of her. She gains confidence from the strong family bonds and Josh's love for her.

What I learned from them is, no matter the hardships and trials in the past, you can overcome them. It may not be easy, but tempered steel is the strongest.


Kage: Ilona, Thank you so much for stopping by today and gracing us with your presence. Before we go, is there anything else you’d like to say to wrap things up?



Ilona Fridl: I want to thank everyone who purchased Silver Screen Heroes and promise that Golden North is as exciting as the first book.


Now that Ilona has totally made us want to buy her book, she was kind enough to provide us with a a buy link to Golden North: eBook, Paperback.

If you're still curious about Ilona, here are other places to find her on the web:

-Website: http://www.ilonafridl.com/index.html
-Newsletter Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilonafridl/
-Facebook: Ilona Fridl

21 comments:

  1. I love a great whodonit too! Good luck and congrats on the book :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed both the interview and the excerpts. Both your novels have caught my interest, and have been added to my TBR list. Take Care, Donna L. Bolk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Linda, and Ilona your books sound intriguing. I love the early 1900s, a time period we don't see much written about these days. I have a short story coming out in January about the Texas oil field's in the 1930s. Plan to take a look at your books. I have a new Nook I need to fill up. Happy sales to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Diane, Donna, and Linda for stopping by today. I had a lot of fun doing research on these books. I forgot to tell you were they're avalible, www.thewildrosepress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent excerpt! And great interview, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Elana, for taking time to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a 1920s whodunit based in Alaska sounds totally fascinating. I'm already picturing an interesting scene involving flappers and tommy guns!! Thanks so much for stopping by, Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for inviting me, Linda. I had a lot more gangster action in the first book, Silver Screen Heroes. But this one has its share as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ilona, this sounds like a terrific book. Good luck with sales!

    ReplyDelete
  10. An interesting interview and the excerpt sounded right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your wishes, Caroline.

    Sandy, If you like mystery and suspense, you'll like the story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the second book Ilona! I somehow missed the first one, so I'm off to look at it and see if my budget can handle it, or if I have to wait til next month:) I love mystery and suspense, so I'm sure I'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ilona,
    Great interview. The 1920's is such an interesting era and you write about it so well.
    Cheers

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  14. Moonsanity, I've always loved mystery and suspense, so I gravitate to writing it. Hope you enjoy it!

    Margaret, My Vintage Rose friend! Thank you so much for your kind support.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your release, Ilona!
    The 1920's is a time frame that really isn't written about enough.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Donna, Mia, and Jennifer, thank you so much for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alaska existed in the 20s? LOL Just kidding. It sounds like a fascinating setting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, Jessica, Juneau was a rip-roaring mining town. It was fun to research.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of your books sound so exciting. Can't wait to read them.

    ReplyDelete